July 22, 2012

Sunday evening. I've been thinking about this for a little while. Wondering if I should share. With the help of my sister, I believe I have talked myself into taking the plunge and sharing.

"Share What?" you ask.

Thanks so much asking. That shows me you really care.

I'm going to share with you my personal challenge. If you've read along over the past year or so, you'll know that my blog is typically about me and being the age that I am and the obstacles I face day to day. I realize (sadly) every day that I am no longer a spring chicken. In fact, I can't remember when I crossed that line, fine or not, from being a spring chicken to what I am now - whatever that may be. Let's say, ummm, old hen? Don't care much for that title. And who came up with the scale of age as compared to barnyard animals? What's up with that?

Anywho... the challenge: Now keep in mind that I don't really have super-specific parameters set yet for this goal. It's just one of those things that I've been wanting to do, and I'd really like to see how far I can get. It's (gulp!) simply: losing weight.

A little background: I am technically "over" 40. (Don't cringe - it's really not that bad.) I have given birth to four children. This, as you know, takes an extreme toll on a woman's body. Some things just never go back to normal - namely: the belly-button. (Don't ask!) I have a wonderful job! However, it's a job that consists of mostly sitting in a wheeled chair, with almost everything I need to do my job with arms reach - or a short wheely-chair ride away.

Sad - but true.

These circumstances, well, that and being a bit on the inactive side of, well, anything I suppose, has led to an increase of inches in my midsection and probably several other places that I cannot see unless.... well, we won't go there. Even I want to sleep tonight and dream happy dreams.

So my personal challenge is this:

Can I lose 20 pounds by my birthday?

I will be (gulp, again!) 41 on September 12th, and this weight that I am currently at, and the shape that my body has taken is, to me, unacceptable! I don't like it.

I mean, really, how can I have a real mid-life crisis while I'm overweight? Nope. Won't do at all. So I'm going to take the plunge and go public with you, my faithful readers. Hopefully, being public will urge me on. Or, at least, guilt me on. If there are any readers who, oh let's say... work with me... then please don't say anything to me about it - just give me a shameful look when you see me order a cheese danish from Neil. I mean, this is embarrassing enough!

I'll try to keep you all posted how many pounds I've lost each week. Starting now.

I had a few glasses of wine (shaly loam = quite tasty) with dinner tonight, which was grilled chicken (thighs - the fattiest part), sauteed zucchini and squash and a salad made with romaine, green olives, tomatoes, baby cukes, red bell pepper, celery... I did go for a walk after that; about 3 miles I think. That. was. hard. It wasn't until about half-way through the walk, when my mp3 player hit Pump It by the Black Eyed Peas, when it finally started getting a little easier. (Phfew! Thank you BEPs!)

I will let you know up front, that this week, and possibly part of the next, could be more difficult for me as it is, you know.... Aunt Flo is scheduled for a visit. And I tend to bloat - immensely!

I know: TMI.

Deal.

So, as of the after-shower weigh-in, I was (and I bought a brand new scale just for this purpose. It is scha - weet!) 150.9.

My goal, then, is to get down around 130 pounds. There! I said it. And no, I don't feel freer (more free? Whatever!)

My reward? Still thinking about that one... have a few things in mind. Maybe I'll let you know what my ideas are in my next blog update. Or I'm welcome to suggestions.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. You're so brave. Good luck!!

    ps: how's the writing going?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading... now be honest.