December 27, 2012

Post-Partum Christmas Blues

Now that Christmas is over you'd think I would relax a bit. But no.

Christmas was the usual (usual as of the last few years) stress of shopping with almost no money. Baking goodies with almost no money. Putting gas in my car so I can get to the family gatherings - with almost no money.

I know. I know. Christmas isn't about all of this. Well, it's kinda about family - but you know what I'm saying. I know Christmas is supposed to be a happy time as it is the birth of our Lord - not the amount of presents we give or receive; not about how many cookies we baked and frosted and put into pretty tins to give away...

But it's still very disheartening to know that your kids are asking what their limit is in response to you asking them for Christmas gift ideas. It's sickening to see the pictures on Facebook of other families with stacks and stacks of gifts under their trees, and they're bragging about how much they spent on their kids or how big their new diamond earrings are, or their family trip to Disney Land.

It's not that I'm jealous. Really. It's just depressing that I can't do that for my kids. I can't remember the last time we went on a real family vacation. Well, actually I can remember - but that's another topic that would really just add to the depression - and anger.

I want my kids to be happy. And they are for the most part. But they sure don't deserve to grow up being such deprived human beings. While I am aware that we do have many things that other families don't have, I am also very aware that it's darker in the house, and cooler in the house, and quieter in the house due to no cable television and all of us putting forth a gallant effort in trying to conserve electricity and natural gas. I've even gone so far as to make my own laundry detergent (which smells very nice!).

And now that Christmas is over, it's time to start the New Year's Resolutions. This is something I don't usually partake in. It's always been kind of stressful for me to make a list and then know that I didn't follow through on anything. But this year, I'm going to have an honest go at it.

There are a lot of ways I could better my life. And I believe that one of the best ways to feel less depressed (dare I say 'happy'? Nah, maybe just 'satisfied'.) is to help others feel better about themselves. Now really, I'm not going to attempt any huge feat. What I'm suggesting is:

Writing Letters


Now keep in mind that this is but one of the items on my New Year's Resolutions list. It's certainly got to be one of the easiest things I can do. It only takes a few minutes to jot a note, right? And I've got a drawer full of pretty stationery that I've been accumulating for years. I can hardly wait to start!

I will be posting this to sites that my family, friends and co-workers all have access to, so if you see this blog, be patient. I will do my best to keep this resolution and let you know how much you are appreciated - in time.

Cool. I'm feeling a little better already.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to my letter. :)

    PS: Your kids are NOT deprived.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading... now be honest.