February 13, 2017

Thanks Saint Valentine!

By Ruby A. Iadeluca


Not quite sure how I feel about tomorrow: Valentine's Day.

For the first time in over 25 years I'll be getting through this one on my own.  Having mixed feelings, really. 

I'll tell you one thing I am enjoying, is pondering how I'm feeling about this. 

I haven't figured it out yet.

Just love Grumpy Cat!

It's just going to be really different watching everyone around me, and how seeing how they really respond to this holiday.  I guess I've never paid it much attention.  Until now.


Sorry.  I know this post may lead you to believe that I have some hostility towards Saint Valentine.

Really, I don't.  Whether you believe me or not, I don't. For realz, man!

I've never gotten much out of Valentine's Day; so I've nearly always had that little bit of envy when I hear about other's dates, gifts, proposals.  I've always thought, "One of these years...!"

One thing I did get - a day early - was this:



 Ok.  I didn't get a boot.  Psst!  It's under the boot...

Picture this:  Freshly showered.  Just getting ready to squirt some lotion into my hand when I see it.  This huge, nasty, beetle-bug-from-h@ll!  On my lotion bottle!

Needless to say, I screamed.

A few times.

Loudly.

I must have blacked out because I don't recall how I got the evil monstrosity to the floor.  But somehow, I did.

I then recall - dimly - sorting through several pair of shoes and boots that were nearby until quickly deciding that my own boot was flat-bottomed enough, and weighty enough, to do the job. 

  • Side note:  Finding just the right shoe?  The struggle is real, and you know it!  You simply can't have a sole that has too deep of crevices on the bottom, because the offending insect will surely side-step into a "safe-zone" and then fly up at you as soon as you lift the shoe just high enough to try to take a peek.  And you know that the shoe has to be firm.  Flimsy just doesn't cut it!  But it also needs to be of a medium weight.  Too heavy? Too light?  You're surely going to over- or under-swing in your moment of panicky weakness.  As I said, the struggle is real!
    I feel your pain, man.
Then I swung.  Just once.  Thank God!  That's all it took.  At least I think so.  My boot is still sitting on the behemoth as we speak.  I may have to forego wearing boots to work tomorrow.  Eh. It's almost Spring.  I'll live.

Since it's still under my boot, I drew a picture of it so that you could know first hand what I was dealing with this evening:

I think it actually had more eyeballs than this.


So since I've lived through this horrifying, terrible experience tonight (see above), I believe that I will be quite okay tomorrow (V-Day).

My plan is to sit back and observe.  Really get in touch with my inner feelings.  And eat more than a few stale conversation hearts that I've got in my desk drawer.

Enjoy yours! xoxo
-Ruby



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading... now be honest.