May 29, 2012

"The quieter you become, the more you can hear." -Baba Ram Dass

Yeah. Totally don't know who that is. But I found the quote here.

I was just quickly looking up quotes on relaxation and thought this applies nicely to what I try to accomplish with my kids day after day - every day.

I enjoy my job immensely. Now, keep in mind, that I enjoy it, but in reality, this is not the field of work that I would have chosen for my "dream career". The people are pretty nice and the work is just challenging enough to keep my interest. So when I need to stay a little longer to get things done before taking a vacation day, I really don't mind.

But I wonder sometimes...

Do I like my job so much because I dread the pandemonium that typically greets me at the door - and quite often before I even get out of my car?

Today, for example, I received two phone calls from the kids before I even clocked out from work. One was to ask if they could go swimming this evening. The second was to ask if she could go to a friends house down the road. Of course they know the answer: We will talk about it when I get home. They know they can't just up and take off before I get home unless it has been pre-planned. So I really don't know why they still call me at work to ask me these things when I really believe they know the answer.

Then, pulling into my garage, I see a head peek out of the kitchen door. Vehicle stops and out she comes. Before my car door even opens, I can hear the 5-year-old whine: Cassy's being mean to me. Usually this is pretty easy to deal with. A 5-year-old still loves her mother, so a kiss and a hug and a sympathetic tone will generally cheer away the hurt feelings.

After gathering my work bag and coffee cup from the car and heading into the house. I am now approached by my two oldest darlings. One is verbally listing all the chores she accomplished at home today to see if she is now qualified to go to the beach. The second child is rehashing his day at school. The third child is trying to get in the door with her friend who has just magically showed up (without any permission from me) so that she can use the bathroom. My fourth is holding her small body against the door so as not to let them in because they were mean to her earlier.

This is everyday for me.

I try my best to listen to everyone; give everyone a fair shake. I really do try.

So it really bothers me when I am unjustly accused of not listening to someone.

"Mom, I've already told you  this."
"Mom! I told you I had a [thing] tonight!"
"I can't believe you don't remember!"
"Mom, you're not listening!"

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! It's not my fault. And, you know? I've explained this to them - and I, apparently mistakenly, thought they understood. I have four children and when they are all trying to tell me something or tattle on someone, it makes it very difficult for me to hear everything that's being said. And the things I do manage to actually hear are usually in one ear and out the other. I simply cannot remember it all.

I've gotten to a point where my day planner is very important to me. I write down almost everything my kids need to do. You might think it's impossible to forget something as important as the 4 dental cleaning appointments. You know, the ones you scheduled a whole vacation day for? Yeah those. I now owe $50 to the dentist for these missed appointments. And what about high school graduation? I haven't forgotten that - yet! But I'm not taking any chances either.

It's in my trusty purple planner.... Now if I can just remember to look at the planner.

My personal desk at home. I think the planner is here somewhere.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Why, thank you darling. You as well! I guess 'awesome' comes in twos...? (lame - I know). :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading... now be honest.