May 1, 2012

Getting Excited

Have you noticed that as you age, the focus of what makes you excited has changed drastically? Why does getting older do that to a person? Why do our interests turn "boring"? And if you take the opportunity as an adult, to indulge yourself in some of the exciting things that maybe you passed over as a youngster, why is it you are considered to be having a mid-life crisis?

I decided early on to embrace my mid-lifeness: my silver hairs, my crows feet, my sags and bags and stretchmarks. But I find myself getting bored with the "every day" that I've fallen into. I'm in a rut that has deepened through the years of child-rearing and working. I feel like this guy. You know what I mean?

I used to get excited about dressing up, doing my hair, going out, meeting with friends, a new outfit, shopping, taking a trip....

Now? Things are just a teensy bit different. I can still manage to get excited about getting my hair done, since, as of late, it seems to only happen about twice a year. But getting dressed up? I never seem to have the kind of  clothing items in my closet that fit any other occasion besides work and getting groceries. Which ties in with shopping. I can't say as I actually loathe shopping - well, yes I can. I hate shopping. I hate trying things on. I hate looking for the bright yellow tags that say clearance. I hate standing in the crowded grocery aisle trying to calculate in my mush-mind just how much I'm saving if I buy the store brand rather than the name brand. It's sad, really. I've trained myself to look away from the mannequin wearing the super-cute outfit that's on sale. I've learned to remind myself that I'm only in the store for coffee filters - and nothing else. Nope! Not even a magazine at the checkout.

Yeah. I'm a bit more subdued now-a-days. Bling doesn't excite me so much anymore. Now a new washer/dryer combo? That would have me dancing in the street and shouting from the rooftop. A free oil change? I might have to do a cartwheel. Getting some spring flowers planted and sprucing up the front yard for the warm season? I might treat myself to an alcoholic beverage and an afternoon on the front porch in the sunshine.

Yep. It sure is funny how my perspective on things has changed. Realizing now what a big deal I made out of things as a teenager makes me rather angry that I wasted so much valuable time. Of course, way back then, I sure didn't realize just how valuable time is. Back then, I can't believe how much time I spent - EVERY DAY - putting my hair into just the right 80's do.

Oh yes I did!
Now, If I can just give a quick blow-dry and comb before I head out the door I'm happy. Being organized and out the door in record time in the morning? Now that's exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading... now be honest.