December 28, 2012

Resolution: Overcoming Writer's Self-Consciousness

Sorry if I was kind of a downer in my last post. I am. But I don’t mean to be.

I mentioned that I may be in the beginning stages of working on my New Year’s Resolutions. I used to think it was too stressful to make resolutions. (If you click on this link… wow, get a load of my baloney!) How many people are actually successful at following through? I’m willing to bet not that many.

But, hey! I’m one of those. I’m normal. See? Just like the rest of you.

Last year and this year have been more difficult than usual to get through, though. So in a huge effort to make myself a happy person again, I’m going to take the plunge… er, at the very least, make a list. Simple stuff. You know?

I mentioned writing letters to various folks throughout the year to let them know how much they’re appreciated. I’ve always enjoyed the hand-written letter in the mail – but as we all know, those are very few nowadays. Now I look forward to my sister’s emails at work. They make me smile. I told her that one of these days, I’m going to go through them all (yes, I’ve saved them all) and publish a book – even if it’s just for us.

I’ve been thinking of a few other items that I could add to my list of resolutions for 2013. I like writing (duh!), so I want to keep up with my blogs. Doesn’t mean I will; but I definitely want to. I also want to not be embarrassed to mention my blogs. Recently, in the Verizon store, when the rep was trying to persuade me with flattery into buying up and getting a smart phone (sorry! My three year old slider is still going strong!), I told him that I really don’t need access to the internet and email and such when I’m not at work or home. I’m not in a business that requires me to travel or stay in contact when I’m not there; and even though, yes, I have four kids, they sure don’t want me to email them at all hours so I know that they are tucked safely into bed. But I did mention that I write. Why I’ll never know. But I did. He perked up, thinking he had me now.

                “Oh? What do you write?”
                “I have a blog” (said with much insecurity).
                “What is your blog about?”

At this point, I know my face is red and I’m glistening. Ok, sweating. “Ooh… just stuff.”

Geez! What is wrong with me? I know that my blog – my topics – wouldn’t typically interest the average Joe, but why do I have such a hard time the self-consciousness?

I’ve always been like this. I’ll blame my parents. Sounds fair.

So here’s what I’m going to do, or try to do: I’m going to do my best to keep up with my blog, and pushing my blog. And I’m going to practice talking about it. Which means, for me, that I’ll probably need to kind of write myself a script so that I can rehearse and feel comfortable with what I’m saying, you know, pick the right words and such.

I even feel uncomfortable saying I’m going to get comfortable with this. Maybe I should coordinate one of the Wednesday night groups for people like me. (Side note: If “Wednesday night group” is synonymous with something strange or nasty I don’t know about, say… Trekkies Anon – then I’m really sorry.) We could all practice our mantra: I write and I’m good at it. I write and I’m good at it. I write and I’m good at it….

I read one blog in particular that I really enjoy where the writer has, more than once, mentioned that he interviews himself in his head. That’s sounds like an interesting approach. I should try something similar. Or… you could leave me comments and feel free to pop a question in here or there. Keep it clean, though.

I write and I’m good at it.
I write and I’m good at it…

Feeling a little better already.

1 comment:

  1. Ruby, you've always been a good writer! Remember that was something we always liked to do in school?
    As far as feeling down, I totally understand! Could it be, (as it is for me) perimenopause? Some days I feel too tired to even care. As far as letters, I'll give you my address... <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading... now be honest.