February 22, 2012

So if you know anything about me at all, one thing is for sure, I seriously dislike people who have no manners. To me, and I believe most of mankind, having manners is just natural, normal, common-sensical.

But there's always those folks who just can't seem to get it through their heads, that if they just thought, just for one measly second, about anyone, anyone else around them....

Now here I pause. I would naturally have ended that sentence with "they would live a happier life.", however, because they are so ignorant about their own obtuseness and disregard, I believe them to be already quite content with their illusory lives.

Now most of these dense mortals aren't mean. They aren't harsh, at least not on purpose. They're just simply oblivious to the very real feelings of everyone around them.

For example (and the very reason I thought I would again write about manners), at my place of work, we have restrooms, as do most businesses. I happened to be using the restroom, one toilet behind a locked door - not the kind that multiple ladies could walk into and choose a stall. So I'm in the bathroom, doing my business, when all of a sudden, I thought someone was having an emergency and trying their hardest to break the door down! The handle not only jiggled, but convulsed several times back and forth. Not only that, but the door itself was being pushed and pulled extraneously, alerting those* within earshot that there may be someone in dire need of a toilet. It not only startled me, but angered me instantly. Having sound judgment, and realizing that it may be a customer, as well as a fellow human being, I called out "Just.A.Sec!"

"Ooh! Sorry" I hear from the other side of the door. Oh yeah, I bet your sorry. But as you stand there, because you now realize that someone else is utilizing the facilities and that your going to have to wait, the idea of "Sorry" has already wafted out of your head. You're not standing there feeling guilty that you've just scared the daylights out of someone, or thinking of how you should phrase an apology for your savage attempt at entering the bathroom while it was occupied. And you're most certainly not thinking about how, in the future, you should definitely try to knock first because you're so embarrassed. No... your thoughts are already elsewhere, most likely on something to do with yourself.

Please tell me what ever happened to knocking, and listening for a response before trying to break the door down? I don't get you people! I'm sure the restroom doors of most establishments are kept in perfect working condition, therefore, there really is no need to use such muscle to try to force your way in. Let me assure you, there is no need, except for your own pure selfishness, to wrench the handle off the door trying to get in and scaring the #$%#$% out of the occupant!

*those: meaning the non-existent people who care when they hear a racket such as described above.

**Dear reader, I am going to bypass the topic of Manners While Driving, in part, because this is a subject that, for me, would take many, many posts for me to iterate my true feelings. Funny... I enjoy the act of driving, even if every other person on the road is a nitwit, driving too fast or too slow or pulling out in front of me or not using their turn signal... but like I said... I will spare you, for now, my rants of irritation that I have regarding my fellow drivers.

In summary: Be Attentive! When you are in need of a restroom and see that the bathroom door is closed, please knock softly and wait for a response before trying the handle gently. Then if someone responds to you from the other side of the door an "Excuse me. I'm sorry." might be in order. Wait patiently outside - there is no need to knock again.

And I should probably add: When you finally get to use the bathroom and you wash your hands (because everyone washes their hands when they're done, right?), don't, DO NOT flick your wet hands to rid them of excess water before using the supplied paper towel. This results in a very inconvenient and irritating spray of water on the counter top, toilet seat, etc. Who wants to sit on a seat to find out only too late that it was wet? Who wants to lean against the counter top to check your makeup or your teeth to find when you pull away that you now have a great big wet spot on the front of your shirt? Come on people, it's just plain old common courtesy. Join in the fun! Let me put it this way.... Have you ever heard of Karma? What comes around goes around. To each his own. You'll get yours.

Hopefully you get my point. Have a good day!

1 comment:

  1. You make me smile and chuckle as always! But, what happened to the gal who wanted in so badly? I must also note that there are those of us who politely knock and do not get a response from those inside the locked room. Ahem, I feel it most appropriate to try to pound down the door on those occassions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading... now be honest.