November 6, 2011

Something Old, Something New

No worries. No weddings here.

But try this on for size...

Hi. My name is Ruby, and I am a quitter.

I quit many things, undertakings, if you will, that I begin on a whim, a crazy idea. Or some things I do begin with a more serious nature. I will give myself that. But I quit a lot of things. And for many reasons.

I suppose that all of my reasons really stem from one: I become disgruntled.

I admit that, as well as being a quitter, I do tend to get bored with monotony. And typically when I make an attempt at an idea that I have come up with, I tend to be disappointed with the length of time that the project takes, or lack of talent I am able to apply to the project, or the meager end result slash payoff of the project.

I have tried my hand at many things. And these things get off to a good start. And these things may even go along for quite awhile as planned. Then somewhere towards the middle to the end of the project, things start falling apart. Again for many reasons...

*I don't have the right equipment/tools.
*Someone I know has discouraged me.
*I can foresee that the route I am taking will not give me the desired result.
*I tried to rush the project.
*I made the mistake of thinking "How hard can it be?", then that old slap in the face from reality.
*I think of another project that I would like to start and don't want to wait to finish the one that's already in progress.

What makes me do this? I suppose it's probably a mind-set that I developed as a child, that was never attended to and therefore, has led me, as an adult to be a quitter.

Technically, I suppose I'm not really a quitter. It's true... I begin a lot of projects. All with the best of intentions. Then, for one of the reasons listed above, I move on. Simply laying aside, putting away "temporarily", the project at hand.

I have much proof of this. I have boxes of yarn for my crocheting and knitting projects, file drawers full of photos, notes, etc for my genealogy projects, drawers of special ingredients for lotions, creams and soaps, smaller boxes with beads and wires for jewelry making, tubs of old, worn clothing to eventually make rag rugs and/or a quilting project.

This list goes on.

And on.

But to put a positive spin on this, I suppose I could say that I'm a beginner. I am creative, as  I have lots of ideas. And I tend to be enthusiastic and optimistic enough to forge my way through a new project, that is, until another brilliant idea pops into my head.

If only I could finish what I start....

But would finishing a project really benefit me? Make me feel good? Well, that would depend on the reason I started the project in the first place.

If I finished the knitting and crocheting: I would have a plethora of items to give as Christmas gifts (or to sell online).

If I finished updating the genealogy project I started many moons ago: I could self-publish and sell the updated edition to the family line it pertains to.

If I finished making the rag rug: I would have a rag rug that matches my master bathroom.

If I finished the jewelry making: I would again have a good amount of items to give as gifts (or sell online).

If I finished....

If I finished...

If I finished up my post: I could take my shower and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading... now be honest.