September 2, 2011

Three Day Weekend…

What should I do first?

I’m sure you all have your mental list of what you’re going to be doing with the next three days.  Those who have children may be going camping one last time, or to beach or boating one last time, getting ice cream, yard work, school shopping.  Of course, we all know that the chores need to come first. Don’t delay. Just do them. Get that laundry done so that not only you have some clean clothes for the weekend, but you’ll not have to chug those heavy clothes baskets up and down the stairs for the remaining two days. It’ll be like a mini-vacation inside your vacation.

Those who don’t have kids, what are your plans? Laying on the beach, reading a good book would be one of my first three choices. Maybe you’re heading out of town to Mackinac Island for a few nights. That would rank right up there for me, as well. Spa day? Mani-pedi?

All wonderful choices. I hope you all are safe and have fun no matter what you decide.

What? Well, thank you for asking.

My theoretically ideal three day weekend would fall along these lines…

1.       Out of work early on Friday. Get home and into something cool and comfortable. Start getting the laundry done. Clean up the kitchen. Prep food for meals all three days.



2.       Once the house is cleaned up (kitchen, bathrooms, living room, bedrooms, etc.) I would dearly love to sit at the computer all weekend and write to my hearts’ content.



3.       If hot and sunny, my goal all summer has been to even out my tan. It’s literally just like that episode of Friends where Ross gets a spray tan which, through an unfortunate series of misguided ‘turns’, he ends up tan (orange) only on one side. Well, mine is natural, from the actual sun. But, like Ross it’s only on my front side. My back side is still, sadly, completely white. I’ve done the flip move for some, showing them: tan – white – tan – white.  I know what will happen though. If I even get the chance to get to the beach, I will end up tan on the front side and fuchsia on the back side. Woe is me…



4.       If the guys were to go camping, I would definitely be trying to watch some good movies this weekend. I find that for me to enjoy a movie is highly dependent on if the guys are out of the house. Oh sure, I like Star Wars and the new Star Trek, and it’s those kinds of movies that the guys sit all engrossed and quiet, listening for all of the super-cool sound effects and the new non-existent gadgetry. But try streaming Sense and Sensibility in front of them and they are so awkward and out of place that all they can manage to do is let the stupid comments fly. “Are you crying? Is that guy gay? What did she just say?”  Believe me, I’ve tried to apply reverse psychology to this – or is that reverse stupidity?… well, you get my point.



So, I suppose, I’ll just take it in stride as best as I can. Try to get the writing in, but not force it so that everyone is unhappy. After all, it’s not NaNoWriMo quite yet. Try to get the laundry done. Make some lists to get organized for the fast approaching school year. I hope you all enjoy your holiday. Be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading... now be honest.